1. Introduction: Enamel pins, Terminology, & etc.





Hello! If you are reading this you are probably interested in how to get started with making enamel pins

In this series, I will be going over the very basics from setting up your account to other tips and tricks that'll help you in your journey! These tips not only apply to starting an enamel pin shop but also to other shop products as well!

Contents:
  • About my shop

  • Helpful Terminology


1. About my shop

My name is Ke and I run the account @teataekl on Instagram & Twitter. You can also visit my website for more links and information!

Some products I've designed and made since 2018
I started my shop at the end of 2018 to sell BTS (kpop group) themed enamel pins. That's how it all started out at least! Throughout my journey, I was able to expand on my product variety into stickers, prints, acrylic charms, as well as some jewelry and apparel! 

There were many ups and downs in my process of building my small business, but these things were trial and error. I also had to look for different manufacturers to produce my pins because the previous ones did not work too well with me. I panicked about how to ship out my pins once I got them after production. 



So I thought I could compose a guide to the things I've learned throughout these two years!

___

2. To get started, let's go over some terminology!

You may feel overwhelmed or vulnerable because these terms may be new to you when talking to your manufacturer or other peers in the community, but that is completely okay! We all start somewhere :D

What are enamel pins?

Enamel pins or Lapel pins are decorative pins that can be made from steel, aluminum, copper, brass, or iron. They can be filled with enamel, if not, that'd make them recessed enamel pins.

Enamel: The coloring of the pin is made of this material! They can be different colors as well, as long as your manufacturer approves of it.

Hard vs Soft Enamel Pins: Hard enamel pins are flat and smooth, and soft enamel pins have raised metal edges.


Left: Soft enamel, Right: Hard enamel (See how the metal rises in the soft enamel and how the surface is smooth on the hard enamel pin)

Other pin-related terminologies

Pantone (color): They are a company with a universal color system that enables color decision and communication between the designer and the manufacturer.

Artwork mockup from manufacturer matching the Pantone colors chosen.

___

Manu: A abbreviation for a manufacturer.
(Doesn't it have a ring to it? You can use it like "this manu did this...", "my manu finished this...", etc)

___

Plating or Metal plating: metal protective film on the surface of your base pin metal. This plating is used to prevent corrosion and oxidation of the base pin metal. The plating also has an impact on the design and overall look with the enamel pin.

These are the most common plating options:


There are other types of platings as well like: Rainbow, Rose Gold but ask you manu for what they offer.

___

Screenprint: Extra printing on the pin that is not restricted by the metal borders. It's perfect for getting small details in the pin too (The more professional term is silkscreen printing)


Here are two pins I have screenprinting for. (The white print on the left and the coral cheek print on the right).

___

Pin backings or clutches: The back pieces behind the pin that keeps the pin attached to its surface, fabric, pinboard, etc.

The most common ones include: 

Metal Butterfly clutches (left): This is definitely one of the most common clutches used. (comes in gold, silver, and maybe other colors according to the manu) I personally don't order pins with this backing because I've lost a pin with this. 

Rubber clutches (right): This is also a very common clutch you'll see come with your pins. All my pins are also backed by this type of clutch  They come in many different colors and shapes like circles, hearts, stars, but I like to stick with just the circle ones :D

___

Backstamp: Backstamps are recessed or raised images stamped onto the back of a custom pin with a separate mold. This piece is optional in the making process, but a good way to brand a pin! The back mold would cost extra technically.


Customers will know who the pin is from when they look at it and see a logo. I've also seen others put quotes or other simple designs to signal a series as well.
___

You've just gone through a lot of information. Don't worry if you don't remember it all in a day! It also took me a while to get used to most of them.

If you have any additional questions for me please feel free to comment below, dm me via Instagram or Twitter @teataekl, or email me at teataekookie@gmail.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4. Funding: Self-fund vs Preorders

2. Getting started: Finding Inpiration